Mah:May 14 1997: APEC 97 Minutes.doc

SECOND MEETING OF THE

POWER ELECTRONIC MODULE INTERFACE WORKING GROUP

P1461

WHEN: 8:00am to 12:00pm Tuesday September 10, 1996

WHERE: APEC 97 Atlanta, GA

CHAIR: Dennis Darcy

SPONSOR: Jason Lai

VICE CHAIR and SECRETARY: Mark Harris, (NOT PRESENT)

ATENDANCE:

NAME

 

ORGANIZATION

ADDRESS AND PHONE #

Dennis Darcy*

c

SatCon

161 first street

Cambridge, MA 02142-1221

(617)349-0927 Fax (617) 661-3373

darcy@satc.com

Jason Lai*

s

Virginia Tech

661 Whittemore Hall

Blacksburg, VA 24061-0111

(540) 231-4741 Fax (540) 231-6390

laijs@vt.edu

John Miller*

tl

Ford

Scientific Research Lab

MD 1170 SRL

20000 Rotunda Dr

Dearborn, MI 48121-2053

(313) 322-7486

Angelo Ferraro*

tl

Harris

3 NORTHWAY LANE NORTH

LATHAM, NY 12110

(518) 782-1182

ferraro@hprd.semi.harris.com

Jeff Fishbein*

tl

Berquiste

5300 Edina Industrial Blvd.

Edina, MN 55439

(612)820-6508

jeff.fishbein@bergquist.sprint.com

Sunil Chhaya*

tl

GM Adv. Tech Vehicles

Mail Code 483-619-406

1996 Technology Drive

Box 7083

Troy, MI 48007-7083

(810)680-4156

schhay@cmsa.gmr.com

Arthur Kelley*

m

North Carolina State University

ECE DEPT. , BOX 7911

Raleigh, NC 27695-7911

Phone and Fax (919) 515-7357

kelly@eos.ncsu.edu

Scott Denty

 

Motorola

5005 E. McDowell Rd

MD A127

Phoenix, AZ 85008

(602) 244-5001

r19869@email.sps.mot.com

Bob Rutter

 

Motorola

5005 E. McDowell Rd

MD A127

Phoenix, AZ 85008

(602) 244-6784 Fax (602) 244-6002

Randy Frank

 

Motorola

5005 E. McDowell Rd

MD A203

Phoenix, AZ 85008

(602) 244-6513 Fax (602) 244-6553

r5md10@email.sps.mot.com

Balarama Murty

 

GM R&D Center

Mail Code 480-106-A26

30500 Mound Rd 106

Box 9055

WARREN, MI 48090-9055

(313) 986-2419 Fax (810) 986-0412

bmurty@cmsa.gmr.com

Chuan Pai

 

Delphi E (GM)

Indianapolis Technology Center

PO Box 502650

Indianapolis, IN 46250

(317) 579-4921

Krishna Shenai

 

University of Illinois at Chicago

1135 SEO EELS Dept\ MC154

851 S. Morgan St.

Chicago, IL 60607

(312) 996-2633 Fax (312) 996-0763

shenai@eecs.uic.edu

 

AGENDA:

Review the agenda

Approve the minutes

Review action items

Task leader reports

Review and generation of action items

Close with next meeting agenda

ACTIVITY:

  1. Reviewed the agenda (above)
  2. Agreed to review the minutes of the previous meeting at the end of this meeting
  3. Reviewed action items
  4. Dennis--Although POWERX and IR were not at the meeting they should be represented in the future.

  5. Sunil then put forward what he perceived to be the purpose of the meeting and then put up the strawman that he has been working on. Please see the attachments for a copy of his presentation material.
  6. Jeff wanted to have a broad set of divergent opinions to make sure that what was done meets the needs of industry
  7. Doug? Can we have a chat room set up on the web? AI-Dennis-Passed to MH (MH--IEEE Has no way to host an IRC, I am looking into the requirements for it now)
  8. Jeff talked about the mechanical considerations (No documents at this time)
  9. The group from Motorola asked about representation from the industrial drives companies, Allen Bradley, Abbot, Emerson, Motorola Representative took an AI to get Steve McGloughlin (SP?) involved.
  10. John Miller presented his information on Power interface considerations. Please see the attachments for a copy of his presentation material.
  11. Jason asked about the location of sensors, particularly temperature sensors, they should be in the module and perhaps needs to be specified?
  12. The Delphi representative (Chuan Pai?) pointed out that different applications/disciplines having drastically different needs.
  13. Balarama Murty said that success is dependent on upward compatibility. (Low level components need to be integrated in such as way as to be circuit topology independent and also tolerant of changes/improvements in technology at all levels.)
  14. Scott and others were concerned about trying to put to much intelligence in the module.
  15. AI Randy is going to find a sensor protocol for review and AI Dennis is going to distribute. AI Dennis will also contact the SAE about related standards.
  16. Angelo, Need to specify static or dynamic response of a module with a given inductance in such a way at to be able to characterize the module. Also would one have to specify the IO? Please see the attachments for a copy of his presentation material.
  17. AI Dennis we need to put emphasis on the thermal area, find a lead. Talk to Paul Davis about thermal issue and get him to help.
  18. AI for all an outline is needed for each section. Chairmanís Comment: We have team leads but now need some technical people to form the teams with them to work on the details.
  19. The Minutes from the first meeting were reviewed and accepted.

NEXT MEETING WILL BE AT PESC 97 in ST LOUIS, June 25th Noon

AGENDA:

Review the Agenda

Approve the minutes

Review action items

Task leader reports

Tentative-Discussion of PCIM roundtable on Power Module Specs

Review and generation of action items

Close with next meeting agenda

 

Tentative Schedule of future meetings

Summer/Fall 97

PCIM 97

Sept 6-12

Baltimore, MD

Winter 98

APEC 98

Feb 15-19

Anaheim, CA

Spring/Summer 98

IEEE HQ

June

Piscataway NJ

Summer/Fall 98

PCIM

Sept