Mah:October 13 1997:
FOURTH MEETING OF THE
POWER ELECTRONIC MODULE INTERFACE
WHEN: 1:00pm to 4:30pm Tuesday October 7, 1997
WHERE: IAS 97 in New Orleans, LA
CHAIR: Dennis Darcy
SPONSOR: Jason Lai
VICE CHAIR and SECRETARY: Mark Harris
||ADDRESS AND PHONE #
|GM Adv. Tech Vehicles
|North Carolina State
||Phone and Fax (919) 515-7357
|GM R&D Center
||Power Systems Group
||(714) 956-9200 ext 106
|LCDR Tom McCoy
||(703) 602-0450 x533
Review the agenda
Approve the minutes
Review action items
Task leader reports
Review and generation of action items
Close with next meeting agenda
- Since the meetings awards luncheon was scheduled until
2:00pm the meeting was delayed until 1:30pm. At which
point the Chairman opened the meeting with a greeting and
a quick review of purpose and the location of the working
group web site (http://stdsbbs.ieee.org/groups/1461/)
- The Chairman reviewed the agenda.
- Review and approval of the minutes (Jointly with Action
- Mark H--web page and chat room for the group,
AI-Chat room still under investigation but Arthur
Kelley has set up a mailing list
- Dennis D--getting more module manufacturers
participating in the group, AI-Still under work,
Powerex had an attendee, but we did not get one
from IR or other module manufacturers. AI-Yuri K
asked about European manufacturers and offered to
make contact with his Siemens contact.
- Dennis D. had taken on to get some SAE standard
information, but has not been able to get it yet.
- Yuri K asked about interaction with other
efforts that seem to be covering the same
ground from other IEEE
- Yuri K also asked about access to the
IEEE standards database, as a working
group we should have access to the
electronic forms on the IEEE HQ Server.
AI-Dennis D or Mark H will make
- Yuri K also kicked of a discussion about
what we meant by power module, each
industry group has a different
perception, the semiconductor companies
see it as a case for their chips, the
custom module people see it as the switch
plus other circuitry, power supply or
drive manufacturers see their products as
modules. (This needs to be resolved
possibly in the work on the
Glossary/Definitions part of the 1461
- AI-John M and Rob L are investigating a
couple of related standards and will be
bringing them to the group in the near
future. (Of particular interest is the
way they handle different implantation of
a common standard).
- Dennis D. Find someone to take charge of the
thermal interface issue. Closed.
- Jeff Fishbein had set up a panel discussion at
PCIM 97 Mark H discussed. The paper and
presentation will put up on the WEB page (PCIM97 Paper and
- In regards to the questions by Yuri K and others
about the propriety of holding a IEEE standards
group meeting at an industry/commercial
exhibition/conference. Dennis D has looked at the
IEEE information and there is no requirement
other than the meetings be open to all, since
PCIM had allowed us to hold the meeting outside
the main hall so people who were not going to the
conference/exhibits this did not seem to be a
problem. AI-However Dennis D will ask our contact
at IEEE HQ.
- Mark H showed overviews of the Level Breakdown
and the Table of Contents as on the WEB page and
shown at PCIM
- Sunil C presented his automotive spec work and
information on zoning that was assigned at the
last meeting. (SC
- Discussion seemed to go down to creating
a three space of Topology, Voltage and
Current, Yuri and others feel that power
would be better than current as the third
- Tom J suggested that some of the discussion about
definitions and to concentrate work on existing
Having reviewed all the action items etc. from the
last the meeting and the Minutes Dennis D asked if there
was any reason not to approve the minutes. They were
approved with minor modifications.
- Balarama M asked how we could get more input from the
module manufacturers on the Automotive Requirements.
- Jason L pointed out that what we were trying to
do is reduce the problems of designing converters
using off the shelf components.
- Balarma M asked how the trade-offs of cost
effectiveness will be addressed.
- Dennis D pointed out that we had decided that we
needed to review and include industry practices.
These 'Standards' were driven by historical
decisions not by current redesign.
- Angelo F pointed out that while it is often
perceived that there are some de-facto standards,
that this is in fact not as much true as
perceived. While modules may look similar they
are not pin compatible.
- John M and Rob L discussed what they had found which were
some IEC and SAE standards
- They had started to look at the termination
ratings and looked at the existing parts, quickly
decided that the only practical way to do this is
to look at if from the performance level first.
From this can be derived the necessary physical
- John M also suggested a power module definition
as a device that uses information to process
- Angelo F now gave his presentation. (AF Presentation)
- His general conclusion was the same as John and
Rob's that the performance drives the physical.
- Jason L asked the group about sponsoring a whole session
at an IEEE conference on standards etc. This would be a
forum where people could present ideas on
standardization, what and how.
- There was a general discussion about the performance
driving the physical, Van GodBold's information seemed to
point out the same issue.
- There was discussion of having a couple of side meeting
between this meeting and the next one.
- Yuri K and Angelo F and others will meet during
the PEBB review Wilkes Barre PA, October 21-23
- Another meeting will be arranged in Dearborne MI
in late November early December.
- Review of Action Items:
- Dennis D-Talk to IEEE HQ to get Yuri K access to
standards for review.
- Task leaders need to arrange meetings for each
- Yuri K is to talk with European module suppliers
- John and Rob are to get copies of SAE and IEC
standards for Mark H to make available to members
- Sunil C will generate a level 0 and 1 draft spec
from his automotive requirements document.
- Mark H will formulate the zone cube for review
- All others interested were going to generate and
pass on to Mark H versions of the Zone breakdown
or Classes of devices. He will put them up on the
web or e-mail them. Anyone is welcome to use the
list server mentioned above to send out to the
- Close of meeting Dennis D asked for a move to adjourn at
THE NEXT FORMAL MEETING
WILL BE AT THE APEC98 MEETING
SOMETIME BETWEEN FEBRUARY 15-19th
Tentative Schedule of future meetings