• Mah:July 3 1997: PESC 97 Minutes.doc

    THIRD MEETING OF THE

    POWER ELECTRONIC MODULE INTERFACE WORKING GROUP

    P1461

    WHEN: 12:00pm to 2:00pm Wednesday June 25, 1997

    WHERE: PESC 97 in St Louis MO

    CHAIR: Dennis Darcy

    SPONSOR: Jason Lai

    VICE CHAIR and SECRETARY: Mark Harris

    ATENDANCE:

  • NAME   ORGANIZATION ADDRESS AND PHONE #
    Dennis Darcy*

    c

    SatCon 161 first street

    Cambridge, MA 02142-1221

    (617)349-0927 Fax (617) 661-3373

    darcy@satc.com

    Jason Lai*

    s

    Virginia Tech 661 Whittemore Hall

    Blacksburg, VA 24061-0111

    (540) 231-4741 Fax (540) 231-6390

    laijs@vt.edu

    Mark Harris

    sc

    ManDign 4126 East 61st Street

    Indianapolis, IN 46220 4667

    (317) 253-3445 Fax (317) 251-2784

    Harrism@iquest.net

    Angelo Ferraro*

    tl

    Harris 3 NORTHWAY LANE NORTH

    LATHAM, NY 12110

    (518) 782-1182

    ferraro@hprd.semi.harris.com

    Jeff Fishbein*

    tl

    Bergquist 5300 Edina Industrial Blvd.

    Edina, MN 55439

    (612)820-6508

    jeff.fishbein@bergquist.sprint.com

    Sunil Chhaya*

    tl

    GM Adv. Tech Vehicles Mail Code 483-619-406

    1996 Technology Drive

    Box 7083

    Troy, MI 48007-7083

    (810)680-4156

    schhay@cmsa.gmr.com

    Arthur Kelley*

    m

    North Carolina State University ECE DEPT. , BOX 7911

    Raleigh, NC 27695-7911

    Phone and Fax (919) 515-7357

    kelly@eos.ncsu.edu

    Balarama Murty*

    m

    GM R&D Center Mail Code 480-106-A26

    30500 Mound Rd 106

    Box 9055

    WARREN, MI 48090-9055

    (810) 986-2419 Fax (810) 986-0412

    bmurty@cmsa.gmr.com

    Chuan Pai*

    m

    Delphi E (GM) Indianapolis Technology Center

    PO Box 502650

    Indianapolis, IN 46250

    (317) 579-4921

    Yuri Khersonksy   Power Systems Group 901 East Ball Road

    Anaheim, CA 92805

    (714) 956-9200 ext 106 Fax (714) 956-5397

    ykhersonsky@powerparagon.com

    Jim Nagashima   GMATC Torrance Bldg 237/MS 1528

    PO Box 2929

    Torrance, CA 90509-2923

    nagashij@pcssmtp.hac.com

    Dave Perreault   MIT Rm 10-013

    77 Massachusetts Av.

    Cambridge, MA 02139

    (617) 253-2083

    djperrea@mit.edu

    Kaushik Rajashekara   Delphi E 7601 East 88 Place

    Indianapolis, IN 46256

    (317) 579-3705

    lnusind.nzqvmt@gmeds.com

    Dong Tan   TRW R9/2849

    One Space Park

    Redondo Beach, CA 90278

    (310) 814-5250

    Dushan Boroyevich   VPI 664 WHITTEMORE HALL

    BLACKSBURG, VA 24061-0111

    (540) 231-4381

    dushan@vt.edu

    Alex Stankovic   Northeastern 409 Dana Bldg

    Boston, MA 02115

    (617) 373-3007 Fax (617) 373-8870

    astankov@cdsp.neu.edu

    Thomas Jahns   MIT Room 10-171

    Cambridge, MA 02139

    (617) 617-1976 Fax (617) 258-6774

    tjahns@mit.edu

    Craig Nordby   Northrup Grumman ESSD MS 649

    PO Box 1897

    Baltimore, MD 21203

    (410) 765-9675 Fax (410) 765-4365

    craig_j._nordby@postal.essd.northgrum.com

    Rob Lankin   AGILE SYSTEMS 440 PHILLIP STREET

    WATERLOO, ONTA N2L5R9

    (519) 886-2000 fax (519) 886-2075

    rlankin@agilesys.com

    Xingyi Xu   Ford (313) 594 3169

    xxu@ford.com

    Van Godbold   University of Michigan 4901 Evergreen Road

    Dearborn, MI 48128-1491

    (313) 593-5525 Fax (313) 593-9967

    jericho@umich.edu

     

    Original AGENDA:

    Review the agenda

    Approve the minutes

    Review action items

    Task leader reports

    Tentative Discussion of PCIM Roundtable on Power Module Specs,

    Review and generation of action items

    Close with next meeting agenda

    ACTIVITY:

    1. 12:10 Chairman called the meeting to order and thanked everyone for attending.
    2. The Chairman reviewed the agenda and asked for a few changes

      Modify the agenda

      Approve the minutes

      Review action items

      Tentative Discussion of PCIM Roundtable on Power Module Specs,

      Refocus Direction and Plan for Rapid Progress

      Review and generation of action items

      Close with next meeting agenda

      These changes were accepted

    3. Review and approval of the minutes

      After some time Yuri asked about the next meeting at PCMI, asking about the propriety of having a IEEE standards meeting at an industry funded meeting. Suggesting that IAS meeting a few weeks later would be a better forum.

    Yuri K Also asked about the consideration being given other standards groups at work on related issues and standards developed in the past but currently dormant.

    Arthur K moved that the minutes be accepted and B Murty seconded, there were no objections.

    1. Reviewed action items

    Mark H. WEB PAGE AND NEWSGROUP FOR 1461: The set up of a chat room and better use of the WEB for communication was discussed. Arthur K has volunteered to manage a listserver, and will investigate the ability to have threaded discussions like a newsgroup. Mark H will also look into doing this. Tom Jahn also volunteered to help in this area.

    Dennis--MORE MODULE MANFACTURER PATICIPATION: None of the module manufacturers were present. Once more Dennis will try to get them involved, also it is hoped that PCIM and IAS will have more representatives from the module makers so they will attend.

    Dennis D. SAE STANDARD Has not been able to get it yet.

    Dennis D. Find someone to take charge of the thermal interface issue. Van Godbold was asked to take this on had is now the Task Leader in that area.

    1. Jeff F was then asked to talk about a panel discussion he was trying to set up at PCIM 97.

    Jeff has asked the organizers of PCIM for a half session period to set up a roundtable to discuss the need for Power Packaging standardization and the work being done in this group. Proposed Format:

    This was proposed in addition to a meeting of the working group that would be held in the evening.

    1. Yuri K and others now asked about the propriety of holding a IEEE standards group meeting at an industry/commercial exhibition/conference. Tom J suggested that informing and promoting was fine but holding the actual meeting might not be a good idea. Others pointed out that the Module Makers will be at the IAS meeting the next month and that maybe holding Jeff F's panel discussion in the PCIM technical session would spark interest in attending a meeting held at IAS. The pro's and con's of PCIM vs IAS were discussed
    2. IA--Dennis D will look into the propriety issue for future reference.
    3. Arthur K motioned that the next meeting be moved to IAS with support for the panel discussion at PCIM. This was passed and accepted by the majority and there were no objections.

    THE NEXT FORMAL MEETING WILL BE AT IAS in NEW ORLEANS SOMETIME DURING THE WEEK OF OCTOBER 5th.

    1. Dennis now moved on to the next item. A discussion of a change in focus/direction

    Need to keep the effort general and in support of the industry and users So we probably need to break the effort into smaller pieces and start at a low level.

    Probably need to be very mechanical at first and firmly based in current practice.

    Break the effort into a series of levels:

    Level 0

    Level 1

    Level 2

    We need to start a Glossary of Terms with definitions, this will be put up on the WEB and discussed over the listserver system so we have a common terminology to work with in future.

    Yuri and Raja then asked some of the questions about Specs. vs Stds. and how we plan to keep this from becoming a specification for one product. And if we had thought about the fact that one size does not fit all. Yuri suggested that we somehow break the application space into zones.

    Several people, Arthur, Sunil and Yuri in the main discussed how to break the space into zones. Voltage and box size came up with power, dissipation and current suggested as well. This is an interesting problem, AI Sunil volunteered to try and create a prototype zoning system for group consideration.

    Now discussed how to break down the workload, in overview there will not be much change.

    Denns D emphasized that it would be in everyones interest if we could have Level 0 of one zone ready for the next meeting.

    Tom J suggested that from prior experience e-mail and brainstorming like techniques could be used to accelerate a process like this.

    Someone suggested that a backbone for the brainstorming be provided in the form of a table of contents. AI Mark H volunteered to take Sunils' strawman and create a generalized table of content and get it out to the members.

    B Murty suggested that all our work should be based on existing technology/methods. That we should basically be collecting a database of proven prior art for use in the future. Although there is some issue with looking to the future, for now it was generally agreed that this was the basis for our initial work.

    1. A quick review of the action items was held
    2. The agenda for the next meeting will be as proposed for this meeting.
    3. Dennis D asked for a motion to adjourn it was submitted and seconded and agreed on by acclaim.

    THERE WILL BE A DISCUSSION OF OUR WORK AT PCIM 97 IN BALTIMORE

    BUT

    THE NEXT FORMAL MEETING WILL BE AT THE IAS GENERAL MEETING IN NEW ORLEANS SOMETIME AROUND OCTOBER 6th

    Tentative Schedule of future meetings

    Winter 98 APEC 98 Feb 15-19 Anaheim, CA
    Spring/Summer 98 IEEE HQ June Piscataway NJ
    Summer/Fall 98 PCIM Sept