[P1619-1] IEEE RevCom approves P1619 and P1619.1

Dear P1619 and P1619.1 members,

Good news!  IEEE RevCom (Review Committee) voted yesterday to approve both P1619 "Narrow-block encryption (for disk drives)" and P1619.1 "Authenticated Encryption (for tape drives)".  See < http://standards.ieee.org/board/rev/1207recomm.html> for the recommendations.  Here are the details for our groups:

P1619/D18 (C/IA) Standard for Cryptographic Protection of Data on Block-Oriented Storage Devices

Recommendation: APPROVE [Vote: Yes=10, No=0; Abstain=1 (Thompson)]

P1619.1/D24 (C/IA) Standard for Authenticated Encryption with Length Expansion for Storage Devices

Recommendation: APPROVE

At this point, we can expect between 2-6 months before IEEE publishes the official versions.  In the meantime, it should be safe to use the latest drafts for the normative requirements.

I've been waiting up to this point to get overly optimistic, but now that the last vote is complete, it's time for congratulations!  A large number of people have made significant contributions to this standard over the last 5 years, and it's important that we recognize those contributions.  I will put together a separate e-mail detailing the contributions.

For those who can make it, I encourage the group to meet in Santa Ana, CA on January 14th for a celebratory dinner (following the P1619.3 meeting).

--
Thanks!
Matt Ball, MV Ball Tech