Re: [STDS-P1619] IEEE 1619 XTS submission to NIST for consideration as an Approved Mode of Operation, and Call for Sponsors

I basically agree with Jim about the extortion. However, when I asked the
NIST guys two years ago about the possible standardization of the current
P1619 encryption mode, they told me that if there would be a large number
of implementations and the algorithm proved to be sound, they would
consider recommending it.

Nobody replied to the request for a list of known implementations. Trade
secrets could be a reason, but it does not look like “a large number of
implementations” so far. Disk manufacturers certainly will not implement
XTS (several hundred million encryption devices produced a year), because
it was tailored for external (transparent) encryption modules. SW
encryption will also be better served with other encryption modes. I fear
that even if pay, NIST would reject the proposal based on the small number
of implementations.

             James Hughes <>
             No Phone Info
             Available                                                  To
                                       STDS-P1619@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
                                                                        cc
             02/25/2008 10:02
             PM                                                    Subject
                                       Re: [STDS-P1619] IEEE 1619 XTS
                                       submission to NIST for
             Please respond to         consideration as an Approved Mode
               James Hughes            of Operation, and Call for Sponsors

If you are talking about asking companies for money to give IEEE to open
the document for everyone, I would support this. Baring that, IEEE will get
their money by selling individuals getting copies.

If you are talking about giving IEEE the money to allow NIST to write their
own document, then I disagree with your logic.

We (the members) are being asked by you to give up thousands each for just
one government that wants to standardize this algorithm. What are we going
to do when the UK, Canada, China, France, and the 230 other countries that
are part of the UN?

The CCM case, in addition to the fact that the 802.11 are open (for some
reason) there were clear scholarly papers on that subject out there.

Your argument about IEEE being cheap is not correct at all. This is an IEEE
group, not because it is cheap, because it is open standards committee.
T10, T11, T13 are ANSI organizations and participation does not require
membership in INCITS which is part of the SCSI Trade Association. The
others, TCG, SNIA, OASIS, as well as INCITS and the SCSI Trade Association
are neither open nor standards committees, they are trade group, industry
association or consortium. IEEE 1619 is not a trade group, industry
association or consortium and this group benefits greatly because of that
fact, and this fact has nothing to do with the cost of IEEE.

I would think that IEEE's goals would be better met by IEEE releasing the
document for the creation of any national standard provided the standard is
not modified, and the IEEE and the document information is clearly stated
in the national standard. This advertising would be valuable to IEEE. If
they do this they will make far more money than if we write our own
scholarly paper and bypass IEEE (which we can).

I am unswayed by your argument. You may suggest as you wish, but I again
strongly recommend that take my objections to IEEE.

If IEEE does not allow NIST to standardize P1619 without extorting
thousands of dollars from the members then I strongly suggest that we write
a scholarly paper that contains the algorithm and all it's tweaks using our
original stuff and submit it for publication somewhere and then give this
document to NIST.

I would expect that Jack and Curtis will be interested in this also since
this sets the precedence that any nation interested in  standardizing any
of their standards will require this payment to IEEE.

Frankly, I hope I have this wrong.

Jim