Re: [STDS-P1619] E-MOTION 2013-10: Approve P1619r/D23 for Sponsor Ballot

Approve with Comments:

  1. In D.4.1 "General XEX transform", on page 25, line 7, I recommend removing the Editor's Note and replacing it with text such as this:  "In contrast to XEX, XTS-AES uses two keys to provide a tighter security bound (see section D.4.3)."
  2. In D.4.2, we should be able to replace the security bound with the original tighter bound of 4.5 q^2/2^n + epsilon (instead of a coefficient of 9.5) if we use the following reference:  K. Minematsu. “Improved Security Analysis of XEX and LRW Modes.” Selected Areas in Cryptography- SAC’06, LNCS 4356, pp.96-113, 2007.
  3. In D.4.3, I recommend removing this sentence: "This separation is a specific example of separation of key usage by purpose and is considered a good security design practice (see NIST Key Management Guidelines [B9], part 1, Section 5.2)".   Liskov and Minematsu (see [Liskov and Minematsu]) go through some trouble to explain how this text confuses the word 'purpose' as NIST intends it versus the way that it is used in P1619.  To avoid being taunted a second time, we should just remove the sentence.
  4. I recommend adding text to D.4.3. to reference [B12] so that we can show the security of ciphertext stealing.  Proposed text, to be inserted at the end of the first paragraph: "The final difference between XEX and XTS-AES is that XTS-AES allows for encrypting non-multiples of the underlying cipher width by using the ciphertext stealing technique.  Ciphertext stealing is shown to be secure in [B12]."
  5. I recommend adding the following reference for [Liskov and Minematsu].  (Note that due to the U.S. government shutdown, NIST's website is down.  However, it is possible to get a cached version by using this search at google.com: cache:http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/ST/toolkit/BCM/documents/comments/XTS/XTS_comments-Liskov_Minematsu.pdf )
Reference:

[Liskov and Minematsu]: Moses Liskov and Kazuhiko Minematsu, "Comments on XTS-AES", Sept 2, 2008, See http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/ST/toolkit/BCM/documents/comments/XTS/XTS_comments-Liskov_Minematsu.pdf .

Cheers,
-Matt