Re: [STDS-P1619] 1619r

Matt,
From my point of view, I think I favor a variant of your 2nd option.   That is, I am OK with dropping the 1st sentence, but only if we modify the 2nd sentence to include the "in the data unit" qualifier that today only exists in the 1st sentence.  That is, specifically, the 2nd sentence should be changed from:

Also, with regards to the maximum amount of ciphertext recommended under a single XTS-AES key, which appears is only addressed in Annex D, there were quite a few changes proposed to the numbers in section D.4.3.   Did you guys conclude on which exact set of numbers you proposed to be used in the next version of 1619?   If so, could you please send that set of numbers?  [Perhaps by incorporating whatever changes were agreed to in Annex D, and sending the revised version of Annex D.]

Regards,
                  Glen Jaquette
                  jaquette@xxxxxxxxxx
                  (520) 352-9146

Inactive hide details for Matt Ball ---11/23/2013 12:35:50 PM---Hi Glen, This is a good point that we missed earlier.  I think Matt Ball ---11/23/2013 12:35:50 PM---Hi Glen, This is a good point that we missed earlier.  I think we can handle this in

From: Matt Ball <matt.ball@xxxxxxxx>
To: STDS-P1619@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
Date: 11/23/2013 12:35 PM
Subject: Re: [STDS-P1619] 1619r

Hi Glen,

This is a good point that we missed earlier.  I think we can handle this in one of two ways:
I recommend that we take the second option because this is more in line with NIST SP 800-38E (see http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistpubs/800-38E/nist-sp-800-38E.pdf) which reads:

One of the goals of this revision is to make IEEE 1619rev and NIST SP 800-38E more in alignment, and this change would work towards that goal.

Would anyone object if we removed the first sentence (as in option 2) as an editorial change before starting Sponsor Ballot?

Cheers,
-Matt