Announcement, Meeting of the IEEE Standards Working Group P-1622 on
Voting Systems Electronic Data Interchange
February 8-9, 2011
Location: Election Assistance Commission, Washington, DC
IEEE Standards Working Group P-1622 on Voting Systems Electronic Data Interchange will hold a two-day meeting in Washington DC, beginning February 8th at 9 AM and wrapping up by mid-afternoon on February 9th. The meeting will be held at the offices of the Election Assistance Commission (EAC), located on 1225 New York Avenue, N.W., Suite 150, Washington, DC, 20005. The agenda for the meeting can be viewed at http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/1622/p1622_upcoming_meetings.html.
The purpose of the meeting is twofold: to discuss and endorse an approach to serve as a foundation for a common data format (CDF) standard by developing use cases for various election scenarios, and to select an existing election data format for use case development. Use cases are currently being developed for election auditing and electronic blank ballot distribution systems, which will be discussed at the meeting. A detailed overview of the OASIS Election Markup Language (EML) will also be presented as part of the meeting. On the second day, a vote will be held to ratify the use case strategy and to select a current data format for the use case development.
Manufacturers of election equipment are especially urged to attend this meeting, as manufacturer input is vital to the standardization process. To make attendance at this meeting more convenient for travelers, the meeting is being held immediately prior to several other election-related meetings in Washington DC, including:
- The Overseas Vote Foundation 5th Annual UOCAVA Summit 2011, https://www.overseasvotefoundation.org/initiatives-UOCAVAsummit-summit2011
- The National Association of State Election Directors (NASED), http://www.nased.org/conferences.html
- The National Association of Secretaries of State (NASS), http://www.nass.org
If you have further questions regarding meeting details, please contact Arthur Keller, 831-459-1485, ark[at]soe[dot]ucsc[dot]edu or John Wack, 301-975-3411, john.wack[at]nist[dot]gov. Please register in advance by emailing John Wack (john.wack[at]nist[dot]gov) by January 28, 2011.
- IEEE P1622 Voting Systems Electronic Data Interchange, Arthur Keller, IEEE P1622 Chair
- Overview of IEEE-SA Process, Malia Zaman, IEEE Program Manager
- Introduction to a Common Data Format, John Wack, NIST
- TGDC Perspective on Common Data Format, Patrick McDaniel, Professor, Penn State
- UOCAVA Electronic Blank Ballot Delivery Use Case, John Wack, NIST
- Post-Election Tabulation Auditing Use Case, Neal McBurnett
- Common Data Format: Data Usage in Election Administration, Kim Brace, Election Data Services, Inc.
- Introduction to OASIS EML, David Webber, Oracle
- NIST Analysis on UOCAVA Relevant Schemas, Carmelo Montanez, NIST
- Support for a Common Data Exchange Format, Peter Zelechoski, Election Systems & Software (ES&S)
- Common Data Format: Thoughts for IEEE P1622, Andy Rogers, Hart InterCivic
- Scytl: Usage of EML, Aaron Wilson, Scytl