Re: Alternate floating-point results under directed rounding

Arnold et al,

Arnold Neumaier wrote:
Sylvain Pion schrieb:
 > Arnold Neumaier wrote:
 >> Nobody had suggested that. The question is only whether a
 >> floating-point +-inf or NaN should be converted into Empty,
 >> or into a substitute finite point interval, or into a substitute
 >> interval of positive width.
 >
 > Can't it be made an error?
 > I am not sure how to properly word this in the standard, but for
> example one could define "undefined behavior", or raise some error flag...?

Making it an error would perhaps be the best.
On the other hand, one may want to be able to trap the error,
to be able to do something alternative if the error occured...
That's why I proposed to use the nonstandardNumber flag.
I wouldn't mind using a different flag...

That's a possibility.  However, my understanding is that hardware
producers in general don't like flags.  Excessive complication in
this way, unless necessary, possibly would make it less likely
the standard be implemented in hardware.  Are there comments
from our representatives associated with hardware vendors in this
regard?

Baker

R. Baker Kearfott,    rbk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx   (337) 482-5346 (fax)
(337) 482-5270 (work)                     (337) 993-1827 (home)
Department of Mathematics, University of Louisiana at Lafayette
(Room 217 Maxim D. Doucet Hall, 1403 Johnston Street)
Box 4-1010, Lafayette, LA 70504-1010, USA