Re: Edge case conversions, exceptions to IEEE FPA

Arnold Neumaier wrote:
R. Baker Kearfott schrieb:
Arnold Neumaier wrote:
.
.
.

I don't think that the floating-point number 2 is derived from a set of real numbers near 2.

Huh?  Certain exact (perhaps irrational numbers) are rounded to 2.
That's what I was saying, no more and no less.

.
.
.

Member opinion statement:
In the former case, I don't see how we can know what it should be
other than the singleton interval both of whose end points are the corresponding
floating point number.  In this regard, I am sympathetic with Siegfried's
statement that the only thing that can be done is user education. (Siegfried,
am I "quoting" you accurately?)

The question here is which stand you take as a Member when in place
of 0.1 you have 1e308 or 1e309. These are converted into a finite
float f and an infinite float, respectively. In the first case,
your argument extends to return [f,f]; in the second, to return [inf,inf]=Empty. This is my proposal, at least.

True.  Within the structure of your proposal, that case should
probably be considered separately.

Baker

R. Baker Kearfott,    rbk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx   (337) 482-5346 (fax)
(337) 482-5270 (work)                     (337) 993-1827 (home)
Department of Mathematics, University of Louisiana at Lafayette
(Room 217 Maxim D. Doucet Hall, 1403 Johnston Street)
Box 4-1010, Lafayette, LA 70504-1010, USA