Re: Edge case conversions, exceptions to IEEE FPA

On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 02:48 -0800, Arnold Neumaier wrote:
> > intval(0.1) -> (NEAREST(0.1,-1.0):NEAREST(0.1,+1.0))
>
> So you suggest to use inflation 2ulp wide for conversion of floats?
> What then about intval(0.5) or intval(0.5e1)?

It is desirable to have two conversions from FP numbers to intervals.
In general, FP numbers already represent 2ulp intervals, but sometimes
one knows they are exact.

> > intval('0.1') should become something sharper than intval(0.1).
>
> 1ulp wide?

Hopefully.  intval('0.5') could be a point interval.  If the underlying
IEEE FPA is decimal, however, one might be tempted that
intval('0.3333333') ought to be a point interval.  So again it may be
desirable to have two conversions from text to intervals.

--
Van Snyder                    |  What fraction of Americans believe
Van.Snyder@xxxxxxxxxxxx       |  Wrestling is real and NASA is fake?