Re: general conversions of floats to intervals

Vladik,

Yes.  In fact, Siegfried Rump captures this meaning in INTLAB's
"significance notation."  ( Try "intvalinit('Display_')" and see how
subsequent dialog proceeds.)

However, how is that relevant to converting a float to an interval?
We are given a float, and are converting it to an interval, without
context.  If we're thinking of it with uncertainty, already there
is additional information (e.g. given as two end points or as a midpoint
and radius).

Are you speaking of conversion of strings to intervals?  I suppose that's
something we can consider, but I would vote against it in a formal
vote, because, what if the user really wanted the exact number input?
If you want it, please continue to advocate it, and bring it up as
a motion or position paper when we have our formal procedures in place.

Baker

Kreinovich, Vladik wrote:
In engineering and science, when people write 1.5, they sometimes mean
not the exact number, but the fact that we know the coefficient with two
decimal digit accuracy, meaning that the actual value of this
coefficient can be between 1.45 and 1.55. This necessitates things like
1.50 meaning the interval [1.495,1.505] as opposed to [1.45,1.55].
In this case, we deal with a string, not with a real number, since real
numbers 1.5 and 1.50 are the same.
My understanding is that the second conversion from a strong in some
sense tries to capture this meaning.

R. Baker Kearfott,    rbk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx   (337) 482-5346 (fax)
(337) 482-5270 (work)                     (337) 993-1827 (home)
Department of Mathematics, University of Louisiana at Lafayette
(Room 217 Maxim D. Doucet Hall, 1403 Johnston Street)
Box 4-1010, Lafayette, LA 70504-1010, USA