Re: P1788: Next?

Dear all

> On 9 Feb 2017, at 04:00, Dmitry Nadezhin <dmitry.nadezhin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Natalie,
>
>> it is not clear to me that 1788.1 is a flavor of 1788…
>
> Part 1 "General Requirements" of the 1788 standard defines requirements for a flavor.
> Which of these requirements are not met by 1788.1 ?
>
> Best Regards,
>  -Dima

I seem to remember this became an essentially technical question and that whether 1788.1 is a flavor or not comes down to how literals are handled, e.g. by numstointerval() and texttointerval(). E.g. does it support mixed radix interval literals (MRILs) as in Table 9.4. "All-flavor bare interval literal examples"? E.g.
 "[-0x1.3p-1, 2/3]" or "[-0x1.3p-1, 0.6667]"

Dima pressed for a specification that would make it a flavor, while Ned was not keen, on grounds of keeping 1788.1 simple. Vincent Lefevre also expressed some views. The point was, I think, that the computational complexity of deciding if a MRIL represents a valid (nonempty) interval can be very high, and is this a burden worth putting on implementers of a "basic" standard?

I don't recall how the discussion was resolved, if it ever was. Ned, Dima, Vincent?

If it wasn't resolved, personally I would be happy if 1788.1 keeps the simpler spec that means it's not (currently) a flavor. When the main 1788 standard is revised in a few years, we can decide whether to limit literals to follow the 1788.1 form -- in which case 1788.1 would become a flavor!

John