Fwd: Re: IEEE-SA Daily email notification - You have 1 new notice(s).
- To: IEEEP1788a <stds-1788@xxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Fwd: Re: IEEE-SA Daily email notification - You have 1 new notice(s).
- From: Ulrich Kulisch <ulrich.kulisch@xxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2017 12:37:00 +0200
- Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: best guess record for domain of ulrich.kulisch@xxxxxxx designates 220.127.116.11 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=ulrich.kulisch@xxxxxxx
- Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; h=in-reply-to:mime-version:user-agent:date:message-id:from:to :references:subject:arc-authentication-results; bh=cL9JUQ33j+tUjcNmpV/F9kLPlQk/NjDLg8vMFo6lr2I=; b=rHKBnvTh5bcRCJu+ih0WeuuIhSp7XOJlTilXKL1cr1o8M4uEYovprjojknSRvEa8yL TMZR8WplVDLZmmzk+903LKFHJFac1a9nlzdfLwtoq0VUZbQB3T7L5K//sB/m+3JhlE3Y GnMHqeAnU8AdFctAar7RhTrr2LeoAiMlblBdEuPfTFz9gt6B9WCnZBAXno70Nk7/e5as lY0gqw+yA1mDSkvKZ3fUZoA+A9ABi3YEK+4ANNbTvkHOexGWLjgB8mt1qvUxVSHXiuiF PcFagiTE6mPciphTUwqtcue2cgH1PbP1duX8uRX4MJkZHyJ3+FrUxtE7Za+Kvk1kwBiq 2i4Q==
- Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; t=1501583902; cv=none; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; b=ywqZyOmbXBCp3qZ8B9L+K1CvNTu7IYI/CK31OwqUw91y/AfU4n7934To8W9/vZJ3or lGDmFIHVYIrYwhI9iT3OFtPum8/BdvajK2ovwKTOsFMKMk7Q9omzkUMEx5VCKkeZP1j1 yGRRVBpv9CXChl3C3gZJxz7J53CVj5hV2x6hXBmWcKUBE8wH3ww31/9lDWj6ZkOMsM6j loSG/WlJSBfRu+wpjfywc6kEbgQdFsvYRaj1enkQlz9odFgwC3MkziOIPHxgt7We3R30 Z8OeD6barJMA9Gq9iJCYCzQwPK2v/hpKbezpGOBu+PrMQluiIjSgFPgkuQddRg0Yne2H yj6A==
- Delivered-to: mhonarc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- In-reply-to: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-help: <https://listserv.ieee.org/cgi-bin/wa?LIST=STDS-1788>, <mailto:LISTSERV@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG?body=INFO%20STDS-1788>
- List-owner: <mailto:STDS-1788-request@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
- List-subscribe: <mailto:STDS-1788-subscribe-request@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
- List-unsubscribe: <mailto:STDS-1788-unsubscribe-request@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
- References: <email@example.com>
- Sender: stds-1788@xxxxxxxx
- User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/45.8.0
I forward a recent e-mail exchange:|
-------- Weitergeleitete Nachricht --------
Thank you for inviting me repeatedly to join the IEEE P1788.1 committee.
In the early days of the standard development I prepared several motions
which all have been accepted. Among these motions was one that required
an exact dot product (EDP).
Hardware implementations of the EDP at Karlsruhe in 1993 and at Berkeley
in 2013 show that it can be computed in about 1/6th of the time needed
for computing a possibly wrong result in conventional floating-point
arithmetic. However in 2013, the requirement of an EDP was withdrawn
from the standard, perhaps in order to make Sun's Forte Fortran conform
with the standard. A majority of IEEE1788 members was made to believe
that everything can be done as well by a correctly rounded dot product
which is built upon a conventional computation of the dot product in
floating-point arithemtic followed by an accuracy refinement. So it is
slower than the EDP by more than one magnitude.
Another topic where I disagree with the majority of the IEEE1788 members
is the treatment of the infinities. Interval airthmetic developed for
closed real and floating-point intervals leads to an exception-free
calculus (for proof see my books). IEEE1788, however, develops interval
arithmetic over the IEEE754 numbers where ±infinity are considered as
numbers. This pulls several IEEE754 concepts like NaN, +0, -0, NaI, and
others into interval arithmetic where they are not needed and are a
frequent source of confusion.
I attach a short unpublished paper which shows my view of the matter in
Am 11.07.2017 um 06:01 schrieb IEEE-SA:
> You have new myProject notifications - please log onto https://development.standards.ieee.org/my-site to read them.
> ----Message Boundary----
> To: undisclosed-recipients:;
> Cc: "C/MSC Project Staff Liaison" <c.bahn@xxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Invitation for IEEE P1788.1 did NOT close! Your participation is important!
> This notification is to advise you that the invitation for P1788.1 Standard for Interval Arithmetic (Simplified) has been extended by the chair. Please consider joining this ballot group and submitting your vote and comments on the document. Log on to myProject https://development.standards.ieee.org/my-site/open-ballot-invitations "Show/Join Open Ballot Invitations" to find the ballot group. Follow the on-screen instructions. Your participation is vital to the success of this project.
> Thank you.
> IEEE-SA Balloting Center
Karlsruher Institut für Technologie (KIT)
Institut für Angewandte und Numerische Mathematik
D-76128 Karlsruhe, Germany
Prof. Ulrich Kulisch
Telefon: +49 721 608-42680
Fax: +49 721 608-46679
KIT - Universität des Landes Baden-Württemberg
und nationales Großforschungszentrum in der
Description: Adobe PDF document