Fwd: Re: IEEE-SA Daily email notification - You have 1 new notice(s).

I forward a recent e-mail exchange:

Betreff: Re: IEEE-SA Daily email notification - You have 1 new notice(s).
Datum: Fri, 21 Jul 2017 10:18:17 +0200
Von: Ulrich Kulisch <ulrich.kulisch@xxxxxxx>
An: IEEE-SA <sa-ballot@xxxxxxxx>

Thank you for inviting me repeatedly to join the IEEE P1788.1 committee.

In the early days of the standard development I prepared several motions
which all have been accepted. Among these motions was one that required
an exact dot product (EDP).

Hardware implementations of the EDP at Karlsruhe in 1993 and at Berkeley
in 2013 show that it can be computed in about 1/6th of the time needed
for computing a possibly wrong result in conventional floating-point
arithmetic. However in 2013, the requirement of an EDP was withdrawn
from the standard, perhaps in order to make Sun's Forte Fortran conform
with the standard. A majority of IEEE1788 members was made to believe
that everything can be done as well by a correctly rounded dot product
which is built upon a conventional computation of the dot product in
floating-point arithemtic followed by an accuracy refinement. So it is
slower than the EDP by more than one magnitude.

Another topic where I disagree with the majority of the IEEE1788 members
is the treatment of the infinities. Interval airthmetic developed for
closed real and floating-point intervals leads to an exception-free
calculus (for proof see my books). IEEE1788, however, develops interval
arithmetic over the IEEE754 numbers where ±infinity are considered as
numbers. This pulls several IEEE754 concepts like NaN, +0, -0, NaI, and
others into interval arithmetic where they are not needed and are a
frequent source of confusion.

I attach a short unpublished paper which shows my view of the matter in
more detail.

Best regards
Ulrich Kulisch

--
Karlsruher Institut für Technologie (KIT)
Institut für Angewandte und Numerische Mathematik

Telefon: +49 721 608-42680
Fax: +49 721 608-46679
E-Mail: ulrich.kulisch@xxxxxxx
www.kit.edu
www.math.kit.edu/ianm2/~kulisch/

KIT - Universität des Landes Baden-Württemberg
und nationales Großforschungszentrum in der
Helmholtz-Gesellschaft