Paul Zimmermann to speak at December 754 meeting next week...

        We will be meeting only one day next week, Thursday
        12/15 from 1:00 to 5:00.  David Hough will be our host
        & will post the particulars to this mailer.

        There are only two items on the agenda.

        Paul Zimmermann will be speaking to us on the subjects
        of arbitrary precision arithmetic & correctly rounded
        transcendentals.  While we have already included both
        topics in the draft in one form or another, Paul will
        present new algorithmic results & applications.

        The abstract for his talk is included below.

        The only other item on the agenda is a set of new rules
        the IEEE wishes us to adopt for this committee.  I will
        post them to the mailer in a moment.

        I urge you to attend this meeting as, according to IEEE
        rules, only those attending (in person or by phone) will
        be able to vote on this issue.

        See you next week...

        Title: Why transcendentals and arbitrary precision?

        Abstract: The IEEE 754 standard requires correct rounding for
        the four arithmetic operations and the square root only. The
        754R revised standard will (or will not) require correct
        rounding for transcendentals. In this talk, we show why we
        should (and how we could) normalize transcendentals. This is
        joint work with David Defour, Guillaume Hanrot, Vincent Lefèvre,
        Jean-Michel Muller and Nathalie Revol, which was already
        presented to the committee by Peter Markstein.

        In the second part of the talk, we explain why it is useful to
        extend the IEEE 754 philosophy to arbitrary precision, and to
        develop and maintain corresponding software implementations.