Re: Two technical questions on IEEE Std 754-2008

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 9:47 AM, Dan Zuras IEEE <forieee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> From: Charles Stevens <charles.stevens@xxxxxxxx>
... many sage remarks elided

It has been so long since I've coded in Cobol that my favorite flavor of MOVE (corresponding) appears to be gone.

But the question of defaults, etc seems to me to be most germane to "native". If a COBOL programmer wants the maximal conformance to IEEE arithmetic, on an IEEE system seems to me that until there is an IEEE computational type, native is where an implementor should lavish attention on doing the best job possible on providing full IEEE conformance.

For the newer types, I think that the intent of COBOL (such as I recall it from my younger days) halting on exceptions IS appropriate rather than the usual IEEE mode of operation.

Keith Bierman
khbkhb@xxxxxxxxx
kbiermank AIM
303 997 2749