RE: Implementor support for the binary interchange formats

Intel people should correct me if needed, but I was under the impression
that Itanium has hardware support for efficient software implementation
of binary128, and is one of the early machines to define what eventually
became the 2008 binary128 standard.

As for COBOL's FLOAT-SHORT, -LONG and -EXTENDED, I suspect they were
mapped to binary32, binary64 and Intel's binary80.  Binary16 has been
defined as a low-precision compact storage format; I know of no uses,
but there may be some in the embedded-system space.

Michel.
---Sent: 2011-03-01 16:45:00 UTC