Re: convertFormat and signaling NaN

Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 00:22:03 +0100
From: Vincent Lefevre <vincent@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: stds-754@xxxxxxxx
Subject: convertFormat and signaling NaN

The convertFormat operation is under 5.4 (formatOf general-computational
operations), so that, according to 6.2, a signaling NaN shall signal the
invalid operation exception.

convertFormat doesn't preclude formatOf being the same format as source.
And the standard doesn't say that the behavior on signaling NaN should
be different.

So, what should the typical bindings be for casts and assignments in C,
assuming an implementation seeks to fully support the IEEE 754 standard?

For instance:

  float x;
  double y, z;

  /* ... */

  z = (double) x;  /* (1) */
  z = (double) y;  /* (2) */
  z = y;    /* (3) */

. . .

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent@xxxxxxxxxx> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.net/>

        While it is true that convertFormat doesn't preclude
        formatOf being the same format as source, it is also
        true that it does not include it.

        And, as 754 generally interprets an assignment as an
        instance of a copy (with no exceptions) I would be
        happy with either interpretation on the grounds that
        the case is outside the stricts bounds of the
        specifications of the standard.  Or on the grounds
        that it is up to the language how to map that syntax
        onto 754 semantics.

        Further, is it not in keeping with the character
        of C that syntax that leads to null operations are
        permitted to be interpreted as removed?  Thus,
        -(-x) == x, or -(x - y) == y - x, et al.

        So, I would think that it would be in keeping with
        that C notion that a null conversion be interpreted
        as nothing more serious than a copy.

        Still, I think you are free roll your own in this
        case & face no criticism on 754 grounds.

        IMHO, of course.

        Yours,