RE: Payload length and interpretation in IEEE Std 754-2008

Forgot which way the "signaling-vs.-quiet" thing went.

For binary formats, in all three cases under consideration, the exponent field is all-bits-on.

Infinity has all zeroes in the trailing significand field.
Quiet NaN has a 1 in the leading bit of the trailing significand field; the remainder of that field is the payload defined by the implementor.
Signaling NaN has a 0 in the leading bit of the trailing significand field; the remainder of that field is the payload defined by the implementor.

What's the distinction, then, between a canonic infinity in that representation and a *signaling* NaN with a payload of zero?

Is there a specification somewhere that says that the payload may not be zero?

    -Chuck Stevens