RE: Payload length and interpretation in IEEE Std 754-2008

Well, the issue here is this.

In the latest proposals for the upcoming standard for COBOL, we have a construct SET CONTENT OF <IEEE-float)> TO POSITIVE-NAN.

The way the COBOL rules are stated now, the result of this action is a positive quiet NaN with a payload of ZERO.  The payload might or might not be modified later.

What I have since realized is that the bit-pattern that results, in a BINARY interchange format (but not a DECIMAL format), is exactly the same as that of a positive infinity. We have "class tests" for the two infinities and for a NaN, and COBOL doesn't "do" infinity arithmetic, so all three are considered non-numeric in COBOL rules.

Now, I can always change "zero" in the rules to "a nonzero value defined by the implementor", but the problem with that is that from the COBOL standard's perspective, "the implementor" is the implementor of the COMPILER, which may have nothing to do with the implementor of the PLATFORM, particularly if the compiler is designed to run on multiple platforms.

What I was hoping to come up with was a nonzero value to which the payload could be set WITHOUT stepping on the platform-implementor's toes, to indicate that the result was INDEED a NaN, but the payload was undetermined (because that particular payload COULDN'T be specified by an implementor), and for which the value was the same regardless of the format.

For DECIMAL formats, the payload appears to be interpreted as (or interpretable as) an integer (3.5.2, bottom of page 10).  I don't see a similar specification for BINARY formats in 3.4 or 6.2.1.

And it does concern me that the set of values permitted for a payload in, say, a Binary128 is MUCH larger than the set of values permitted in a Binary32, when it appears that the implementor would be dealing with the same set of conditions -- and thus the same set of payload values -- in both cases.  Why?  Eight-million-plus possibilities ought to be enough for ANY implementor!

    -Chuck Stevens