[STDS-802-11-TGM] IEEE-SA staff's response on the term "example" in normative text

Hello,

As per my action item in the September 3rd teleconference call, I've
further contacted IEEE-SA Staff for review on our proposed changes to
their concern on the mix of normative and informative terms in the
normative clauses, and the following 2 additional questions:
(1) there are more than 1000 instances of "example" in the draft;
whether the term "example" allows in normative texts;
(2) there are quite a number of appearances of “and is not meant to be
exhaustive of all possible protocol uses” in clause 6;  whether this
expression allows in normative texts.

The following is the IEEE-SA Staff's response on 19/1444r3 and the two
questions:

----------------------
I read through your proposed changes and they are all acceptable to me.

This rule has always been confusing because some information is, just
naturally, informative--such as examples, as you point out. But when
this information is included in the main body of the document it is
considered normative even if by nature it takes on an informative
role. A user shall consider everything is the normative parts of the
standard as being necessary to implement the standard--even examples.
Removing the informative label is all you really need to do to
successfully follow the Ops Manual. That being said, you do not have
to go through and remove the word "example" in the thousand instances
it occurs. There is also no problem with the wording “and is not meant
to be exhaustive of all possible protocol uses."
I've updated revision 4 (19/1444r4,
https://mentor.ieee.org/802.11/dcn/19/11-19-1444-04-000m-proposed-changes-re-ieee-sa-mec-comment-related-to-draft-2-1-of-ieee-p802-11revmd.docx)
with the response of IEEE-SA staff.  Please let me know via the TGmd
or Editors reflector if there are additional questions.   This
submission will be discussed in Wednesday PM1 in Hanoi.

Thanks and Regards,
Edward