Re:RE: RE: stds-802-16: SYSREQ: Reference Diagram from Marga

Hi gang,

I would like to continue this line of dialog because I think that this is
important...regarding Marianna's responses...

1. ATM vs. IP:
Let me step back and ask a dumb question, if IEEE 802 would not accept an ATM
based addressing mode and this group defines an IP only based addressing mode,
than the standard will most likely be completely incompatible with the lion's
share of the LMDS equipment deployments over the next 3 years.  Does that make
sense for us? Does this group run the risk of creating a standard that noone
adopts?

Is everyone in agreement that ATM vs. IP over the air may fall outside the scope
of this group?

2. Coexistence With Existing Equipment:
With regard to Marianna's comments about coexistance prior to system
requirements, I am in full agreement.  I recall that on numerous occassions,
Roger was asked by various members for us to consider coexistance first.  He
rejected those numerous plees outright.  I think that this issue needs
revisiting.  Perhaps we need to put this issue to a vote.

3. Participation:
I realize that those companies who are already selling equipment (including
Stanford Telecom) are busy selling what they have developed.  None-the-less, if
the industry leaders are not involved in this standardization effort and the
realities of existing equipment in the market are ignored, there is a good
chance that the market will ignore this standard.

Sincerely,

Steve Farrell
Product Marketing Manager
Stanford Wireless Broadband Inc.
1221 Crossman Avenue
Sunnyvale, CA  94089-1117
phone:  408-745-2530
fax:    408-745-2673
steve.farrell@stelhq.com

> Steve,
>
> I am afraid you misunderstood my point no. 3. What I meant to say is
>  that without the definition of the Interworking Functions we will be
>  limited to a VoIP solution only!
>
> Regarding the ATM vs. IP, I agree that the backbone can be ATM or IP,
>  but being compliant with IEEE 802.1  (basic requirement) simply means
>  (to me at least) that IEEE will not accept under its umbrella a
> standard
>  with ATM addressing mode! So some external ATM  Router
> should be used, and here comes the BreezeCOM support for distributed
>  architectures, that fits the IEEE requirements.

802.14 tries hardly to push the ATM interfaces, but will the standard be
approved?
In the mean time they are defining only the MAC layer, data and digital
video can work with static provisioning, but what about telephony?

From: Marianna Goldhammer <mariannag@breezecom.co.il>
To: stds-802-16@ieee.org
Subject: RE: stds-802-16: SYSREQ: Reference Diagram from Margarete Ralston
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 17:46:28 +0300