Re: [RPRWG] MAC Question

Ray,

This is a design choice and is currently the subject of much
debate within RPR.  My view is that the latency/jitter issues
will be there in either a store & fwd or cut-through design.

It is simply a question of where you introduce the jitter,
on the ingress path or the transit path.

In the next couple of meetings, I'm sure we will be seeing
some concrete results to compare the two approaches.

At 09:02 AM 3/22/01 , Ray Zeisz wrote:

>I am following the .17 group from afar, but I have a question:
>
>Is it acceptable for each node in the ring to buffer up an entire packet
>before forwarding it to its neighbor?  Would the latency be to great if this
>were done?  Or is the .17 direction more along the lines of 802.5 where only
>a few bits in each ring node are buffered...just enough to detect a token
>and set a bit to claim it.
>
>Ray
>
>Ray Zeisz
>Technology Advisor
>LVL7 Systems
>http://www.LVL7.com
>(919) 865-2735

Steven Wood,
Manager, Hardware Engineering

Cisco Systems Co.
365 March Rd.
Kanata, Ontario
CANADA     K2K 2C9                 |          |
Phn: (613) 271-3450               :|:        :|:
Fax: (613) 271-3333              :|||:      :|||:
mailto:swood@xxxxxxxxx        .:|||||||:...:|||||||:.
http://www.cisco.com          C i s c o S y s t e m s