[STDS-802-24] Call for Interest and Contributions - 802.24/802.1 Whitepaper on TSN for utility applications.

All,

As discussed in the joint meeting of 802.24 and 802.1 TSN today, we are initiating development of a white paper on the application of TSN (Time-Sensitive Networking) in networks supporting utility applications. The initial discussion can start on the reflector.

Topics for consideration:
How can time bounded or deterministic services be effectively applied in utility applications?
        For Example: Substation LANs, between LAN and WAN, shared links for supporting protective relaying
         Application of ring topology for redundancy
How do 802 TSN standards compare to proprietary real-time Ethernet variants.
How can 802 TSN standards be used for IEC 61850 GOOSE protocols
Does 802 TSN provide benefits for supporting Synchrophasors?

We are establishing a liaison with IEEE PES PSCC (Power Systems Communications and Cybersecurity) committee. This liaison will provide us technical information on the application requirements, as well as a path to the audience of potential users.

Please respond and express interest and willingness to contribute to development.
Our next face to face meeting will take place at the January 2017 802 Interim meeting in Atlanta.

Best Regards,
Tim.

Tim Godfrey
tim.godfrey@xxxxxxxx