Re: [802.3_100GCU] Discussion of Objectives

Throwing in a couple more questions for discussion.

-          How about co-existence with 40GBASE-KR/CR – is it an objective or not?

-          Do we want to keep the virtual lane concept? 10GBASE-R encoding?

-          How about supporting/extending EEE (802.3az)?

-          Should we keep the "BER < 1e-12" objective from past projects?

o   Bengt's presentation suggests that this should scale up with speed (to maintain error rate over time).

o   On the other hand, legacy channels and new TX/RX implementation might make even 1e-12 challenging without FEC.

o   Maybe we should define two separate targets – one for FEC-protected and one for "raw"?

o   Maybe the target should be in terms of MTTFPA?

-          Considering FEC - is latency part of the objectives? Do we want to define a limit? Can FEC can be mandatory if it meets a lower latency requirement?

Adee