Re: [802.3_100GCU] FW: Discussion of Objectives

Richard,

I really like your idea of showing the percentage of material that is used according to time.  Then we can produce the optimal solution

Gert,

I think we should discuss the materials in terms of loss or other relevant parameters instead of actual material.  We could say which materials fall within the range of losses though.  Following is an example of how we could show which materials are expected to be used where.

Reader beware, I just made up these numbers and do not have access to the real numbers.  I hope we can come to a general consensus on where the percentages are within +/-10%.

Loss at 12.5 GHZ (dB/in)

2.0-2.4

1.7-2.0

1.4-1.7

1.0-1.4

FR-4

N4000-13, FR-4 Low Loss

Megtron 4

Megtron 6

Total

% of backplanes in 2011

14%

49%

33%

4%

100%

% of backplanes in 2012

13%

48%

33%

6%

100%

% of backplanes in 2013

12%

47%

34%

7%

100%

% of backplanes in 2014

10%

45%

36%

9%

100%

% of backplanes in 2015

9%

44%

37%

10%

100%

% of backplanes in 2016

8%

43%

38%

11%

100%

% of backplanes in 2017

6%

42%

40%

12%

100%

% of backplanes in 2018

3%

41%

42%

14%

100%

We should consult some backplane producers, end users or even industry analysts to get a good estimate.

Cheers,

Scott