Re: [802.3_100GEL] Presentations Uploaded for Sept Interim

Bill, That is the signal amplitude effect I mentioned in the last email. It is included in all simulation results.

On Sep 7, 2018, at 6:27 AM, Bill Kirkland <wkirkland@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Haven’t seen the slides. However, when using a Tx FFE do you maintain a fixed peak level?

i.e. at Tx you are limited in your signal swing. So any increase in the peak to peak swing, means the rms voltage has to be lower.

From: Phil Sun <phil.sun@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, September 7, 2018 1:42 AM
To: STDS-802-3-100GEL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3_100GEL] Presentations Uploaded for Sept Interim

WARNING - External Email

Hi Matt,

For “noise enhancement”, I agree TX FFE does not enhance noise as RX FFE - simply because FFE input noise is much less. There is a performance tradeoff analysis on page #11 of sun_100GEL_01b_0118. Other factors, e.g. TX signal amplitude and circuit distortion are also important. FFE tail tap weight are usually small, therefore the performance difference of TX/RX FFE regarding noise enhancement and TX signal swing are small.

We see simulations based on linear model in this group showing “comparable” performance results. (I am sure Adee has more comments on choosing the word “Comparable”).  Regarding circuit distortion, at this high speed it  is critical to system (especially receiver) performance but not modeled in simulators like COM. That is why we brought some silicon and circuit simulation results to the group. TX FFE approach simplifies receiver for better/easier circuit linearity/bandwidth.

Indeed TX FFE adaptation interface is relatively new to 802.3 (compared to e.g. wireless applications). Hopefully we can make right decisions whether it can be solved by clever ways and whether it can be justified by power saving.

Regards,

Phil