Re: [802.3_100GNGOPTX] Next Generation Optics - Areas to be addressed

Dear Study Group Participants,

If you recently sent emails to our illustrious chair and had them bounced, it is because his affiliation is no longer with HP. I have put Dan’s new address in the cc: of this email.

Chris

From: Dove, Daniel [mailto:dan.dove@xxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:10 PM
To: STDS-802-3-100GNGOPTX@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [802.3_100GNGOPTX] Next Generation Optics - Areas to be addressed

Dear Study Group Participants,

During our wrap-up, I mentioned the need to begin work immediately on key areas to be addressed. Specifically, I provided the following;

• System PCA Reach Requirements

• Connector/MSA implications on link budget

• Un-retimed, Retimed, Both

• Multi-Mode Solution (customer requirements vs technical cost/complexity)

• Alternative Single-Mode technology (performance/cost /power/density)

• Liaisons (IC for OIF)(ITU)

• FEC (Optional, Required) (Compatibility with 802.3bj)

• Equalization

• Compatible Interface with p802.3bj

Please consider how you may contribute to the Study Group effort on one or more of these areas. If you can coordinate with others to produce a joint presentation, this would also be very helpful. Our November Plenary is likely to be a very busy meeting, so focus is very important.

As a reminder, I will emphasize that presentations should be focused on identifying an objective for the Study Group, and justifying it. Your help will be appreciated.

Regards,

Dan Dove

Chair, Next Generation 100Gb/s Optical Ethernet Study Group