Re: [802.3_100GNGOPTX] Reach on MMF

Dan

Few of us have been looking at this problem, based on published result as well as our assessment is that
100G-SR4 link first would be limited by the speed of VCSEL 18-20 ps, then the PIN/TIA ~ 15 GHz, and last
by the fiber 16-17 GHz assuming 100 m of OM3 or 150 m of OM4.

100G-SR4 can take two path
	- Sacrifice the fiber reach and define 50 m reach on OM3 with simple retime interface without FEC or EQ
	- Support 40GBase-SR4 fiber reach (100 m OM3/150 m OM4) with use of EQ and/or FEC

Obviously this something that require more in depth study but at the surface it seem solving 100G-SR4 problem
assuming 100 m reach on OM3 will be much simpler than LRM.  As we work through technical feasibility it is
important to understand the market need and I strongly encourage the end users to come forward with their
cable reach requirements.

Thanks,
Ali