Re: [802.3_100GNGOPTX] Warehouse Scale Computing, impact on reach objective

Ali

I have n’t found any references to link lengths, though they may be buried in the paper.  Fortunately the SG does have contributions from Paul Kolesar providing data on the structured cabling for:

access <-> distribution layer

and

distribution <-> core

It is certainly possible, as you suggest, and the paper alludes to this, that the core may be constructed from a mesh of stackable switches rather than large modular switches.  This would have the impact of increasing the number of optical interfaces used to connect the switches forming the core.  Essentially such a design would trade off backplane traces for optical interfaces.  It is possible of course that these interfaces would be made by patch cables (switches are in the same rack) rather than using structured cabling.

The fan out of a distribution switch in the warehouse scale computer (10 racks) is similar to the data provided by Scott Kipp in his submission the BWA adhoc:

 http://www.ieee802.org/3/ad_hoc/bwa/public/may11/kipp_01_0511.pdf

Where 16 racks are connected to the distribution layer switch, called a cluster switch in this presentation.

The fact that a cluster can be housed in a 40 ft shipping container indicates how short these links can be.

Regards

Andy