From: Daniel Dove [mailto:ddove@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2011 3:03 PM
To: STDS-802-3-100GNGOPTX@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3_100GNGOPTX] SMF Objective

SG Participants,

To be very frank, I am concerned about whether we are going to be able to demonstrate the appropriate justification for a single-mode PMD.

We have received presentations on various alternative methods of achieving SMF distances using anything from MTP-SMF to SiPhotonics to Multi-Level modulation to mid-wave VCSELs. Those, by themselves have not demonstrated a significant cost improvement over LR4, nor do they demonstrate broad market potential (cost relates to volume and vice-versa).

Please think about whether this project should include an SMF objective. If you believe it should, prepare to convince >75% of the SG that it is technically feasible, cost effective (compare against an LR4 optical module of equivalent size and electronics), and thus will garner a sufficient market potential to create a SMF objective.

Otherwise, we are faced with a decision in January. Do we go to March Plenary with an MMF objective only (and a basis for developing the 4x25 electrical spec), or do we delay this SG another cycle?

I plan to bring in a "5 Criteria" slide set based on what I believe will be a MMF objective. That slide set will be subject to revision. If we find need for changes on the MMF element, or addition of the SMF criteria, this would have to happen in January to make our necessary  March lead-times.

Regards,

Dan Dove