From: Mike Dudek [mailto:mike.dudek@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 12:42 PM
To: Jonathan King; STDS-802-3-100GNGOPTX@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: a_flatman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; Amezcua, A. (Adrian); Anslow, Peter; Anthony Torza; Bernstein, Gary; Brad Booth; Daniel Dove; Ephrem Wu; Gary Nicholl (gnicholl); Harry Fu; Jack Jewell; Jeffery Maki; John Petrilla; Keith Nellis; Kolesar, Paul; Lian Zhao; Martin Gilpatric; mnowell@xxxxxxxxx; Oren Sela; Piers Dawe; Rick.Pimpinella@xxxxxxxxxxx; Robert Coenen; ryan.latchman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; Scott Kipp; Shmuel Levy; Sudeep Bhoja; Swanson, Steven E; Vipul Bhatt
Subject: RE: [802.3_100GNGOPTX] MMF Ad Hoc

Sorry I wasn’t able to attend the meeting.   Here are a few thoughts.  Some rather wild!!!

I think that the question of what happens without FEC may be of interest (is that perhaps the 20m option? With reduced power (in the host IC) and reduced latency.

Also although 802.3bj is defining the backplane and copper interfaces with FEC always on in the Tx it doesn’t mean that it is always on in the Rx.

I think that this could also affect the definition of CAUI-4.   I think there is a question as to whether FEC is mandatory in CAUI-4 (host to module (so far it’s been assumed CAUI-4 needs to meet its BER objective without FEC).  If it is then when connecting to a 100GBASE-LR4 with a 4 lane interface we would require the FEC decoder/encoder in the module to drive the non-FEC 100GBASE-LR4.

One other really wild suggestion is whether our “low cost single-mode objective”  might be based on the 100GBASE-LR4, still meeting 10km but with FEC.

Mike Dudek

QLogic Corporation

Senior Manager Signal Integrity

26650 Aliso Viejo Parkway