Balance between discussion in the meeting, use of reflector, and participation in ad hocs will depend on individual judgment.

Regards,

Dan

On 1/23/13 10:13 AM, Arash Farhood wrote:
Hi,
  I am resending this email in response to John Petrilla presentation.
Regards,
Arash

From: arash_farhood@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: stds-802-3-100gngoptx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [802.3_100GNGOPTX] SMF Ad Hoc
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 20:17:57 +0000

Folks,
I did some quick calculations to check the 1dB MPI penalty John showed us today. We need to pay more attention to this

1- Assume discount factor of 0.6, ROSA/TOSA_RL=-12dB and no connector, ER=3.5dB
The upper bound MPI penalty according to bhatt_01_0512 is 1.63dB. The MPI Penalty according to San Antonio statistical method is 1.31dB.
John slide shows around .9dB. The difference is most likely coming from the fact that the John's calculation is taking into account IL and I do not. I am not doing this since I am not really sure how to do this correctly. I am not convinced the method that is used in 10GEPBaud3_1_16a.xl is actually truly worst case.

2- I added 4 connectors to the the above with RL_connector=-35dB
bhatt_01_0512 MPI=2.49dB and SA_ Stats_MPI=1.97dB
The point is, we should not ignore the connectors even if the RL_Connector=-35dB

3- Removed the discount factor from the above
bhatt_01_0512 MPI=5.66dB and SA_ Stats_MPI=4.06dB
So the discount factor is a substantial discount!

Regards,
Arash Farhood
Director System Eng
Cortina Systems