From: Rao, Sailesh [mailto:sailesh.rao@intel.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 8:38 AM
To: 'Yossi Erlich'; 'stds-802-3-10gbt@ieee.org'
Subject: RE: [10GBASE-T] clarification on voltage level

Yossi,

	The DM-CM conversion characteristics of twisted-pair cabling
typically increases at a 20dB/decade slope as a function of frequency. This
is why the transmit PSD of 100BASE-Tx and 1000BASE-T exhibit a ~20dB/decade
decrease in the 30MHz-100MHz band to optimize their emissions
characteristics.

	Yes, even with the 3V ptp signaling, the proposed average energy in
the 30MHz-100MHz band is less than what 1000BASE-T uses (the peak energy
could be a different story, depending on the signaling used in the proposed
system), but it has traded it off for energy in the 100MHz-833MHz band, and
also roughly doubled the total energy.

	Even if we assume that the cable is well-behaved in the
100MHz-833MHz band, we should expect an additional 20dB/decade rise in the
DM-CM conversion, and therefore the tradeoff is not a good one.

Sailesh.