Re: [10GBASE-T] The channel model

Chris,

For 100BASE-T and 1000BASE-T the channel bandwidth is 62.5MHz ,but the channel
is characterized up to 100MHz.This is done in order to cover all the
nonlinearities in signaling ,channel and to cover all the issues with egress
and ingress for EMI.
10GBASE-T proposed channel bandwidths are: 416MHz(PAM10) and 625MHz
(PAM5).Therefore in order to characterize the channel for all the none-ideal
effects(signal,balance,connectors,UTP,EMI etc) ,we need a guard band around
the signal bandwidth.There are already CAT6(CDT and others) cables today ,that
are characterized up to 550MHz.
Understanding the channel up to 1GHz will help with coding,scrambling and
defining the notch filter for EMI.

regards,pirooz

> Pirooz,
>
> Thanks for the input. I'm planning to schedule a con-call next week
> to discuss the channel modeling.
>
> What are the requirements that necessitate channel characterization
> up to 1 GHz?
>
> I'd like to limit the channel characterization to account for
> relevant signal spectrum and minimize excess bandwidth characterization.
>
> Regards,
>
> Chris

Plato Labs,Inc
Pirooz Hojabri