Re: [10GBASE-T] channel model

Larry,

Has the impulse response corresponding to the proposed
channel model frequency characteristic been verified? This
is important, as the system feasibility can only be reliably
ascertained in the time domain.

The method used for the channel loss temperature correction
mentioned in your correspondence could potentially result in
non-causal time domain behavior for the following reason.

The only [relatively] temperature invariant component in the
line phase response is its non-minimum-phase portion - the
linear part of the phase characteristic that corresponds to the
line propagation delay. However, the so called minimum-phase
portion (non-linear), is known to be related to the cable
magnitude response by the Hilbert Transform. Hence, the
magnitude cannot be in general manipulated arbitrary, without
causing an impact on the phase.

(The minimum-phase component being critical for the system
time domain behavior is usually small comparable to its linear
non-minimum-phase counterpart, which makes direct
measurements difficult.)

The channel impulse response generation would be straightforward
(using IFFT) if the frequency step was chosen to be ~488.28 kHz,
as high order interpolation techniques required for smooth fitting
of the current data could prove unreliable.

Regards,
Albert