Re: [10GBASE-T] channel model

Title:
Bill,

Perhaps, we can list down the main system modeling requirements for
feasibility study, discuss and agree on these. Then one could look
into the respective characterization requirements on the basis of what
is realistically possible to achieve...

Modeling requirements:

1. Baud rates up to 1.25 GHz max. - various rate choices may need to
be studied.

2. Ease of impulse response generation for a given baud rate and its multiples
for the Channel, Echo, NEXT and FEXT using preferably a unique data set.

3. Model Channel behavior up to 1 GHz insuring a causal system.

4. Proof of feasibility at environmental conditions: 50 C (?)

5. Relaxed impairments accuracy at very high and very low frequencies
(TBD - say above 500 MHz and below 1 MHz), as long as behavior
remains "physical" - motivation:

a) signal psd and channel magnitude would be small at high freq.

b) system will need to have some smoothing and anti-out-of-band
noise LPFs, helping condition in a)

c) there will be in the end-to-end system a high-pass of at least a 2nd
order, hence making the modeling accuracy at low frequencies and DC
practically irrelevant

d) there should be allowed certain characteristic variability at the band
edges to account for practical realizations

e) noise floor

The channel could be reliably modeled up to 1 GHz using continuous
time analytical approximation - even if it is based on the frequency-limited
(~500 MHz) data  set. One notable benefit of the analytical channel model
is that it could be readily sampled at a  required baud rate to produce a
causal impulse response.

The Echo, NEXT and FEXT models could be derived based on the frequency
characterization (~500 MHz) performed with sufficient resolution, such that a
simple interpolation would allow for impulse response generation at different
sampling rates. (Similar approach was taken in 1000BASE-T.)

Regards,
Albert

William Jones wrote:
Chris

The issues that I see in determining the frequency range of the channel characterization are:

1) The ability to make accurate high frequency measurements and to validate the results among multiple independent cable vendors.  This suggests a lower frequency range.

2) The frequency range must be the same for all types of measurements (line as well as crosstalk measurements).  So, although accurate higher frequency channel measurements may be possible, our experience has been that FEXT is the most challenging.  This can limit the frequency range more.

3) Flexibility to perform system tradeoffs suggests a higher frequency range.

Based on these considerations, I propose the characterization of all measurements (line and crosstalk) be
from DC to 500 MHz.

Bill

Chair Modeling Ad Hoc

William W. Jones, Ph.D.