From: xichen@marvell.com [mailto:xichen@marvell.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2003 1:18 PM
To: William Jones
Cc: joseph.chou@realcomtec.com; stds-802-3-10GBT-Cabling@ieee.org;
stds-802-3-10GBT-Modeling@ieee.org
Subject: RE: [10GBT-Modeling] RE: [10GBT-Cabling] [10GBASE-T] a channel
capacity estimation program for your evaluation

Bill,

Sorry I have to clarify my opinions which may not be the same as yours.
According to the calculation of the program which is based on the ISO
channel model provided by Chris, the target we are talking about (10Gbps
over 100m CAT-5E/6 cable) is even theoretically infeasible (channel
capacity is <10Gbps).   And I don't think that there will be an appreciable
difference in capacity when the measured data (while scaled to the channel
model limit)  is used.

Another thing I want to clarify is about the Shannon limit.  The Shannon
limit is only theoretically achievable without limit on the complexity of
system.  With the currently proposed approaches (traditional
modulation/coding schemes), I don't think there is any way for us to make
it close to the channel capacity.  Nevertheless, the implementation
constraints will only make the really achievable performance worse.

Regards,

Xiaopeng

"William Jones" <wjones@solarflare.com> on 02/20/2003 11:57:35 AM