RE: [10GBT-Modeling] RE: [10GBT-Cabling] [10GBASE-T] a channel capacity estim...

Xiaopeng hi,
Very good work.

In order to probe into this deeper,  I  initially simplified your simulation
to having only a single simple impairment - background noise (i.e., I
removed from your simulation all other impairment: NEXT, FEXT, ANEXT, ECHO).
The resulting capacity was 15.29Gbit/sec.
This simplification allows me to  compare your results with my program's
results. Running my routine on same parameters I got capacity of 17Gbit/sec.
So clearly there was a discrepancy in the results.
Previously I've cross checked my routine on simple problems and compared to
textbook results, as well as put it to scrutiny with a several colleagues,
so I am quite confident it yields correct results.

Therefore, I dug a bit into your equations (in the Matlab file), I think
there is a slight problem with the definition of spectral density (it
doesn't account for double sided) - there is a subtlety in capacity
equations (the usual 3dB problem) and I think you may have fallen into this
pit. And indeed when I add 3 dB to the noise floor in my simulation I get
capacity of 15.327. The difference from 15.29 can probably be attributed to
a different frequency grid and that I used an older version of the insertion
loss limit equation which is marginally different than the one you've used.

I've taken the liberty to modify your code (I started out with the latest
version you've sent) to account for the double sided density (one can easily
switch between the original code and my correction) and attached it herein.
I've added comments showing were the single sided - double sided spectral
density switch occurred in my opinion. I've also  added a sanity check
option for simple AWGN channel case.

Running the modified program I got the following results:
Cable=CAT-5E   Cancellation=Marvell   		Capacity= 8.89 Gb/sec
Cable=CAT-6     Cancellation=Marvell   		Capacity=11.36 Gb/sec

I've also added the option to use Solarflare's figures for impairements'
DSP-improvement as presented in Kauai.
Running the modified program under these assumptions yields:
Cable=CAT-5E 	Cancellation=SOLARFLARE  	 Capacity=5.57 Gb/sec
Cable=CAT-6 	Cancellation=SOLARFLARE  	 Capacity=7.26 Gb/sec

Summarizing, although there was a small flaw in the original M file, your
basic conclusions seem to hold water and moreover using Solarflare's
assumptions regarding DSP cancellation performance yield that neither CAT5E
nor CAT6 can support 10Gb/sec for 100m cable length.

Regards,
Ze'ev
Mysticom