Re: [10GBT-Modeling] RE: [10GBT-Cabling] [10GBASE-T] a channel capacity esti...

I've asked Brad to post a paper I presented at the International Wire and
Cable Symposium in regards to the
development of equal level far-end crosstalk (ELFEXT) and return loss
specifications for Gigabit Ethernet
operation on category 5 copper. It will address some of the background
questions and provide
some insight into the development of the cabling parameters and limits
specified in 1000BASE-T.

As I mentioned earlier, the measured cabling models were generated by Bob
Cambell and I. They are illustrated in the
1000BASE-T tutorial presentation (3/97) titled Category 5 Cabling Models For
Line Code Simulations.

A significant amount of effort went into the evaluation and specification of
cabling for 1000BASE-T
operation. It is true that many of the individuals involved with the line
code development did not participate
in the cabling specification development.

Regards,

Chris DiMinico
MC Communications
cdiminico@ieee.org
978-441-1051

In a message dated 2/27/03 4:59:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,