From: Booth, Bradley [mailto:bradley.booth@intel.com]
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2003 7:57 PM
To: stds-802-3-10gbt@ieee.org
Subject: RE: [10GBASE-T] EFM OAM...

Ahmet,

Valid points.  Some may argue that EFM OAM didn't exist when 1000BASE-T or 1000BASE-X were written, but that has not prevented EFM OAM from having some affect on 1000BASE-X.  When 802.3ae was starting, 802.3ad (Link Aggregation) had not yet completed, but there was a decision to support Link Agg in 802.3ae.  The 10GBASE-T Study Group will have to make decisions about what portions of 802.3, 802.3ae, 802.3af and 802.3ah that we feel we should support or at least consider supporting moving forward.  For example, do we use Clause 22 management or Clause 45 management?  If we use Clause 45 but wish to support auto-negotiation to lower speeds, then we may need to consider supporting Clause 22 access to Clause 45 registers.  802.3 is a living document, so we need to be careful about what parts we do and do not want to consider in our effort.

As the Chair, I want to make sure we consider all aspects of creating a standard, from the technical feasibility up to the management requirements.  All opinions are valid, and open discussion is a great way that we make sure we haven't left stones unturned.

Thanks,
Brad