From: Sreen Raghavan [mailto:sreen-raghavan@vativ.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 1:58 PM
To: 'DOVE,DANIEL J (HP-Roseville,ex1)'; sreen@vativ.com; 'Alan Flatman';
'Kardontchik, Jaime'
Cc: '[unknown]'; 'Sterling Vaden'
Subject: RE: [10GBASE-T] PAR and 5 critters

Dan:

We are really referring to the theory (Shannon Capacity) when we say 10Gbps
cannot be achieved over CAT-5e or CAT-6 cabling. Theory shows that 10Gbps
can be achieved over CAT-7 cabling. Practical issues to accomplish 10Gbps
over CAT-7 cabling include (assuming PAM-10 modulation):

1. Building an 11-bit effective ADC at 833 MBaud,
2. Performing large number (x8 relative to 1000BaseT) of DSP calculations at
833MHz,
3. DDFSE critical path to be implemented in 1.2 ns
4. Building a linear transmit driver with an 833MGz bandwidth & 40 dB SNR

The above list by no means is exhaustive, but shows the implementation
issues that need to be considered.

Sreen