From: Sterling Vaden [mailto:sterlingv@bellsouth.net]
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 8:40 AM
To: stds-802-3-10gbt@ieee.org
Cc: [unknown]
Subject: Re: [10GBASE-T] PAR and 5 critters

While I understand the motive behind stressing the benefits of DSP based ANEXT compensation, and installation based ANEXT mitigation, I have to emphasize that these methods and their practical value are subject to ongoing debate. For example, one of the ANEXT mitigation methods is to insert patch cords of longer length/geater insertion loss into the channel. This is not only counter-intuitive it has other problems as well, such as the possibility of re-qualifying the channel for length and insertion loss, as well as possibly violating TIA requirements for patch cord wire gauge and insertion loss assumptions. For the formulation of the 5 critters, I contend these arguments are non-starters. All of these things, however can be cosidered and debated on their merits in the task group. Please try to focus on establishing a baseline position that everyone can support by indicating your support for the following options:

Class F at 100 meters
Class E STP at 100 meters
Class E UTP at 50 meters

ADC feasibility for above configurations

Commitment to develop:

    Cabling performance standards for:
    Class D STP
    Class D UTP

    Retrofit based mitigation techniques for:
    Class E UTP > 50 meters
    Class D STP ?
    Class D UTP (dependent upon result of cabling standards developed above)

    DSP based ANEXT cancellation

    ADC feasibility for the above configurations

Based upon level of support for these objectives, we can add new objectives or delete/augment. Remember, the objectives must have broad support within the group to survive at higher levels of approval.

Sterling

George Zimmerman wrote:
Presentations are given by individuals, not companies, but you can find
them on the 10GBASE-T study group site.  Among those of note are a
January presentation from Stephen Bates, up to one just in July by Shadi
AbuGhazaleh & Rehan Mahmood (there are more on mitigation and on
feasibility studies, Ron Nordin & Vanderlaan, Albert Vareljian, Bijit
Halder all come to mind).

There really isn't any mystery here - going to shorter distances
increases the received signal proportionally, and mitigating alien NEXT
decreases the noise, hence, more capacity.  What is more, because the
crossover point (signal/noise=1) occurs at a higher frequency, only
increasing the capacity further.

George Zimmerman
gzimmerman@solarflare.com
tel: (949) 581-6830 ext. 2500