From: pat_thaler@agilent.com <pat_thaler@agilent.com>
To: Booth, Bradley <bradley.booth@intel.com>; stds-802-3-10gbt@ieee.org
<stds-802-3-10gbt@ieee.org>
Sent: Wed Jul 30 14:22:09 2003
Subject: Objectives

Brad,

I think one area where the objectives need work is with regard to MAC
compatability. The only one I see that currently relates to it is:
Support a speed of 10.000 Gb/s at the MAC/PLS service interface

Given some of the proposals being made, I don't think this objective goes
far enough. (I note that this doesn't even say that 10 Gb/s is the only
speed that will be supported.)  In the past we have occasionally tweaked the
MAC definition to accomodate faster operation. When we are adding a new
physical layer for an existing MAC speed, we have always been careful to
design the new PHY so that it was entirely compatible with existing MACs.
For instance, when we designed 10BASE-T, we made sure that the behavior the
10BASE-T MAU exhibited when a fault occurred matched behavior that coax MAUs
produced for faults.

I propose adding an objective:
Compatible with existing MACs at XGMII and XAUI interfaces without
modification.

If there are people who don't think that should be an objective, then they
should explain what sort of modifications they expect to need and how a PHY
that is not compatible with existing MACs (including switch ports) can have
broad market potential.

Regards,
Pat