Re: [10GBASE-T] PAR and 5 critters

Title:
Vivek,

It is not possible for me know the actual number you may have
used as a reference in 1000BASE-T to obtain the x6.7 metric for
the respective filter order increase in 10GBASE-T.

I simply noticed that the x6.7 figure got somehow caught on in
the SG, and had  been used so far as an indicator for the filter
order growth in 833 MHz sys. I see this figure as overly conservative.

If, for example, we assume a 12-tap FFE-DFE in 1000B-T, the 6.7
factor would result in 80-tap FFE-DFE in 10GB-T @ 833 MHz.
A very reasonable ISI cancellation could be achieved with just
24-tap EQ. So, a factor of 2 vs 6.7 would make a substantial
difference for implementation. (Coincidentally, a large, although
quoted as non-optimized, 80-tap FFE-DFE appears in the joint Jul.
vendor presentation.) Simulation shows, that in the case of Echo,
NEXT and FEXT the orders do not scale as favorably as 2, nevertheless
the respective factors still remain reasonably below 6.7.

Vivek Telang wrote:
Albert,

I have to disagree. I think the 45x complexity (again, I said this is a first-order approximation) *does* apply to the cancellers. You are assuming that the "system resource sharing and advanced DSP techniques" are not already being used in the 1000BASE-T PHYs that are being shipped today. Unless I missed something, the techniques that I saw in the presentations are not unique to the 10GBASE-T system. Considering that today's 1000BASE-T PHYs have power numbers that are an order of magnitude lower than those in '99, you should assume that many of these techniques are already being employed today.

If there was something in the techniques that was specific to the 10GBASE-T proposal, please point me to the particular presentation.
I don't dispute that many good techniques employed in 1000BASE-T would be
applicable to 10GBASE-T. In fact, this is what I see in my analysis as well.

Regards,
Albert

Regards,

Vivek