RE: [10GBASE-T] Economic feasibility or Market Potential?

SM wrote:
> Well, it bothers me.
> The more I am following this debate, the more I am becoming
> convinced that 10GBase-CX4
> has no market potential.
>

> 							Shimon.

Hi Shimon,

FYI... http://www.ieee802.org/3/ak/5critters_Dallas.pdf

Part of the reason that CX4 will enjoy "Broad Market Potential" is that its
cost factor is negligible relative to the available alternatives and it is
based upon technology that is available today. Initial silicon will have a
substantially lower cost than the fiber-optic alternatives, and it can be
quickly integrated into MAC ASSP silicon which makes it even more cost
effective. At ~1W/port, the power impact on device packaging and system
cooling is acceptable, in fact, pretty much equivalent to 1000BASE-T.

How many "Gig-to-the-Desktop" boxes will be shipping in '04 and '05 ?
Assuming a good percentage of them have CX4 interfaces, that will be a large
part of the market potential. I don't think every project has to have
100BASE-T volumes to be considered acceptable, but they must be able to
stand against alternatives.

10GBASE-T has some special challenges, but they are typical of a leading
edge technology.

It must prove feasibility on a medium that will provide it broad potential,
and in a fabrication technology that will provide it low cost. I am not
convinced that CAT7 is going to be broadly enough installed to allow
10GBASE-T to overwhelm its lower-cost alternative CX4 in the data center and
wiring-closet interconnect space. It think that it would be great if
10GBASE-T can run over CAT6 and CAT5e because that will allow it a future
path to the desktop which will drive volume and cost in the right
directions. As a DC/WC interconnect only, it would have to compete with
mature CX4 on the short hauls, and 850nm optics on the longer hauls. That
would really squeeze its potential.

So rather than assume 10GBASE-T will only be a DC/WC interconnect solution
vying against integrated CX4 on one end, and 850nm optics on the other, I
suggest working out a technical solution that supports installed cable
plants (in 05'/06' timeframes) and takes that broader market. If it can do
that, the DC/WC market will open up to it because of its potential
application in the broader space.

Regards,

Dan Dove
HP ProCurve Networking