Re: [10GBASE-T] Technical feasibility: survey

At 09:18 AM 8/5/2003 -0700, Booth, Bradley wrote:

I would like to take a quick survey of the experts:
1) Do you believe that 10 Gigabit Ethernet over 100m on Cat7 is not technically feasible?

***NO

2) Do you believe that the power required for 10 Gigabit Ethernet over 100m on Cat7 make it not technically feasible?

***NO. Although once we see specific PHY proposals in the task force we should explore the power requirement

3) If you said "yes" to 1) or 2), then what do you believe needs to be done to satisfy technical feasibility for the 10GBASE-T Study Group?

***The SG has already agreed on one criterion for technical feasibility. We could explore adding more once we have a TF and adding a higher bar before or during sponsor ballot. Given our experience in IEEE 802.3ae, I am not sure how much this will help us since only 2 of the 4 PMDs are shipping today in any volume even though all four passed the bar we set.

Bruce

Thank you,
Brad

Chair, 10GBASE-T Study Group

Bruce Tolley
Senior Manager, Emerging Technologies
Gigabit Systems Business Unit
Cisco Systems
170 West Tasman Drive
MS SJ B2
San Jose, CA 95134-1706
internet: btolley@cisco.com
ip phone: 408-526-4534

"Don't put your hiking boots in the oven unless you plan on eating them."

Colin Fletcher, The Complete Walker