RE: [10GBASE-T] Technical feasibility: AutoNegotiation

Beside ANEXT how we are going to verify 625 MHz field testing?  There are no UTP field test equipment that can test up to 650 MHz today.

Rehan Mahmood
Hubbell Premise Wiring

>>> "Cobb, Terry R (Terry)" <tcobb@avaya.com> 08/04/03 05:58PM >>>

Dan,

The biggest problem is that you can not determine the potential Alien Crosstalk. It can show up at anytime and can not be realistically tested in the field.

Terry

-----Original Message-----
From: Booth, Bradley [mailto:bradley.booth@intel.com]
Sent: Monday, August 04, 2003 4:26 PM
To: stds-802-3-10gbt@ieee.org
Subject: RE: [10GBASE-T] Technical feasibility: AutoNegotiation

Dan,

Interesting that you'd ask this, because it was a question I had a
meeting or two ago.  In most cases, the PHYs can determine the link
length via a simple electronic ping.  As for the grade of the cable,
extrapolation could be performed during the training sequence as the
number of taps would have a correlation to the quality of the cable and
the data rate or distance supported.  A lot of these methods are in use
today for 1000BASE-T, but they are implementation strategies, not based
on what is in 802.3.

Cheers,
Brad