From: Nariman Yousefi [mailto:yousefi@broadcom.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 9:34 PM
To: Booth, Bradley; stds-802-3-10gbt@ieee.org
Subject: RE: [10GBASE-T] Technical feasibility: survey

The issue on power is not about technical feasibility of dissipating certain amount of power in a chip.  We all know that with advanced packaging technologies and proper cooling and fans a larger amount of power can be dissipated on chip.  The real question is about achieving broad market potential with 10GBase-T.  Power dissipation must be appropriate for server line cards and multi port switch implementations to achieve broad market potential.   We heard a reasonable power target should be around 5W for server cards. If early products are 2-3 watts higher, then that should be OK for some applications.  I hope this issue will be addressed to the study group by September meeting.

Nariman

[Nariman Yousefi]  -----Original Message-----