RE: [10GBASE-T] RE: EMI Discussion

Brad-

The point here is that since 10BASE-T we (802.3) have been dealing with
PHYs to utilize existing cabling specs. While this is not 100% true, it is
largely true. There has been very little tweaking of the cabling to meet
our needs. 11801 was based largely on the technical foundation laid by the
original version of TIA 568.

100BASE-TX ran on a an installed base of CAT5 (per 568 spec) that was put
in place in anticipation of the broad deployment of FDDI TP-PMD.

This time we have talked about going wildly outside the bounds of the
specified behavior of the existing cabling. This is something that we
haven't done since the days of 1BASE5 & 10BASE-T when we were trying to
determine the technical feasibility of systematically running 1 & 10 Mb/s
Manchester encoded data over twisted pair that had been designed only for
voice or, at best, ISDN.

It turned out to be 'mostly' adequate and the cabling industry had CAT3
available for new installs so that we really moved forward rather than
looked back for 10BASE-T. It should be noted that there was a huge amount
of demand pull for 10BASE-T from the desktop market while this was going
on. I don't see the equivalent here.

Geoff